Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I think I've got it!

well, it's taken a while, but I guess I've figured out how to make a blog! :)  I found the blog of "Wife of a Diabetic" about a month ago, when my husbands bs dropped so low that he was unaware of who or where he was.  That's the worst it's ever been.  I was scared and was ready to call 911 when he finally started to come around.  So I thought I would search online to see just how common it was for diabetics to forget/be unaware of simple things.  Guess it's more common than I knew. I've been looking at these blogs for a little bit.  It certainly explains why he forgets things about what the girls are doing in school and just the basic things going on in our lives.  So I thought, hey, I can do one of these too!

Maybe some background information will help?  I'm 28 (almost 29!) my husband almost 28.  He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes just a few months after we got married-the beginning of 2004.  They admitted him in ICU because his bs levels were over 700.  For the next few years he was admitted into the hospital ICU 1-2 times a year because he was vomiting blood, and dka.  The last time this happened in 2008 I had my brother-in-law take him to the hospital.  His parents met them up there, a few church members went up there as well.  After the er sent him to ICU (again!) his mom called to tell me.  My response?  "I'm not going up there.  I'm not going to watch him die, and my girls (4 and 5 at the time) are not going to watch him die."  This all happened in the morning, I went up to visit him for a short bit in the evening.  The nurse told me that she had no idea how he was still alive b/c of the keytones, her best guess was that his body has been in limbo with keytones for so long that it was used to it.  I told him I wasn't staying for this.  I told him that I wouldn't let my children watch him die and I would leave with them until he was ready to take care of himself.  I had a place to stay...it was in town, but he had no idea where it was.  We were ready to go.  I'm not sure if that's why he changed his mind, but he hasn't been hospitalized for diabetes since then.  Unfortunately he still doesn't take care of himself like he should. 

Guess that's all for now...I have so much to say and I don't know anybody who understands what it's like to live with a diabetic husband, but I know that you all do. I'll be posting again because just getting this off of my chest is wonderful.  Keeping up a blog will help to see how things change as things here change-I just pray they change for the better.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes! Do I understand! Great to find you! Not many people our age to relate with. I am 27 and my hubby is 31. Feel free to read my bog also :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to our blogging "circle!" You have a tough job and choices ahead of you. I have always thought that if I had had kids with my hubby (he is not my first marriage), I would have had to leave for the children's well-being, because of his emotional highs and lows. How could a child understand that? Thankfully, my son from a previous marriage is grown. Good for you that you had the courage to tell him that you would NOT watch him die.

    ReplyDelete